Friday, October 7, 2011

'I've lost more than 13 inches in a month': Ricki Lake credits dance pro Derek Hough with Dancing with the Stars weight loss


She once weighed 260 pounds (18.5 stone), and her weight struggles have been well documented since her movie début in Hairspray, aged 20.
But it seems talk show host Ricki Lake has now hit on a perfect plan to shed the pounds.
The 43-year-old TV personality says she's slimmed down considerably in just three weeks of competing on Dancing With The Stars. 
'I lost more than 13 inches in a month. It's crazy,' Ricki tells Ellen DeGeneres on today's Ellen show. 
Weight loss: Ricki Lake says she's lost 13 inches since starting on Dancing With The Stars three weeks ago, and credits dance partner Derek Hough with helping her shed the pounds
Weight loss: Ricki Lake says she's lost 13 inches since starting on Dancing With The Stars three weeks ago, and credits dance partner Derek Hough with helping her shed the pounds
The star says she has already shed five inches from her waist and five inches from her hips, crediting dance partner Derek Hough with helping her shed the pounds. 
'The Derek Hough diet is the best,' she laughs. 'It's hardcore.'
However, Ricki acknowledges she has had to work hard to obtain her trim figure. 
'They say [Dancing with the Stars) is the hardest thing you will ever do and you're like, "Yeah, yeah, yeah. I've done hard: I had my baby in my bathtub at home" and yet we work out all day long,' she explains. 'We are sweating all over each other!'
She recently told Us Weekly that, along with her inches, she has also lost 15lbs (one stone).
Svelte: The talk show host has had a long public struggle with her weight but five hours of gruelling rehearsal each day has helped her shed the pounds
Svelte: The talk show host has had a long public struggle with her weight  but five hours of gruelling rehearsal each day has helped her shed the pounds
Success story: Ricki and partner Derek have scored highly on their dances in the first three weeks of the show
Success story: Ricki and partner Derek have scored highly on their dances in the first three weeks of the show
'I am really getting in great shape,' she said, following last week's performance. 'I will be wearing less and less clothing the smaller I get. I am feeling more comfortable in my own skin.'
The star who played oversize teen Tracy Turnblad in 1988 movie Hairspray, has experienced a somewhat yo-yo effect with her weight - losing 100 pounds back in 1992 where she admits she used 'extreme measures.'
'That was not healthy,' she told Access Hollywood.  'I was starving myself. I was fainting. It worked, it was effective, but it wasn’t the healthiest way to do it.'
But the star opted for a more sensible weight loss plan three years ago, hiring Fresh Dining, a food delivery service which helped her go from a size 12-14 to a size six (UK ten),' she said.
Slimline: Ricki looks a far cry from her rotund appearance back in 1990, where she came close to her heaviest weight of 260 pounds Slimline: Ricki looks a far cry from her rotund appearance back in 1990, where she came close to her heaviest weight of 260 pounds
Slimline: Ricki looks a far cry from her rotund appearance back in 1990, where she came close to her heaviest weight of 260 pounds
Star turn: Ricki first came to fame as oversize Tracy Turnblad in 1988 movie Hairspray
Star turn: Ricki first came to fame as oversize Tracy Turnblad in 1988 movie Hairspray
And when she initially began Dancing With the Stars, she said she was 'hoping to pull a Kirstie Alley,' who last year claimed to have gone down from a U.S. 12 to a size six.
And Ricki managed to shed a few inches before the show even started, due to the series of gruelling four to five hour rehearsals each day. 
'When I went in for a costume fitting, I've lost three inches in my waist, three in my hips,' she told People last month. 'Over an inch in my thighs and another inch and a half on my arms. It's crazy.
'I'm a little self conscious of my arms and my back fat but they're trimming down really quickly. So I think the longer I'm in the competition, the better I'll feel about my body.'
The star, who is engaged to fiancé Christian Evans, also revealed details of her healthy diet to maintain her svelte shape. 
She told People she typically begins the day with oatmeal or an egg white and vegetable omelette for breakfast, gazpacho and a chicken breast for lunch and turkey meatloaf and salad for dinner along with 'a bit of mashed potatoes.'
Ricki added that her weakness is bread products. 'That is absolutely the hardest thing to give up,' she said. 'Pizza is my favourite.'

No comments:

Post a Comment